News: Welcome to the new Astyrian off-site forum!

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Happily Introducing Yourself to Astyria: Introduction Threads  (Read 11459 times)

Azura

• n00b
  • Well, isn't this special!
    • View Profile
    • The Seraphic Republic of Cassonne
Happily Introducing Yourself to Astyria: Introduction Threads
« on: September 16, 2016, 04:03:40 PM »

If you're reading this, you're either a member of the one of the greatest regions in NationStates, or you're considering making this region your home. Or, perhaps, you're a lurker that just likes to keep tabs on the goings-on. Either way, welcome to the off-site forums for the great region of Astyria! Astyria is a region comprised of nations young and old, and boasts one of the most diverse and eclectic roleplaying communities in NationStates. If you find yourself here, you are at least partially interested in who we are; hence, a thread designed for members of the region to introduce themselves both to their fellow region-mates, and to those possibly considering applying to become members themselves. Consider this your first port-of-call when meeting the wonderful writers who breathe life into our region.

To participate here, it's quite simple: just post a bit about who you are — the nation(s) that you manage in Astyria, how long you have been a part of the region and/or the larger NationStates community, and anything else that think others would find interesting. Introduce yourself to your region-mates, new and old!

Special Thanks to... The Nations That Introduced Themselves! Aswick, Ollie, Aquitayne and Woody

(Here's a Basic Template...)

Player's Handle:

Player's Astyrian Nations:

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations:

Years Active in NationStates:

When Did You First Join Astyria?

A Little Bit About Me...

Favorite Genres:

Favorite Writers:

Nationality:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 02:05:48 PM by Cassonne »

Azura

• n00b
  • Well, isn't this special!
    • View Profile
    • The Seraphic Republic of Cassonne
Re: Happily Introducing Yourself to Astyria: Introduction Threads
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 04:17:38 PM »
Player's Handle: Azura

Player's Astyrian Nations: The Seraphic Republic of Cassonne, Heideland

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations: The Evenguard of Azura (P/MT), The Primareliqua (FT)

Years Active in NationStates: 2003-2004, 2006-Present

When Did You First Join Astyria? I was among the first group of nations to be approached about joining up with Astyria when the region first launched, so I've had involvement off and on for quite awhile now. As a lot of people know, I've dealt with some health issues that have knocked me low over the last couple of years, but I've come to consider this region my home region in NationStates, and am never too awful far away from it when writing.

A Little Bit About Me... I've been writing for years and years, and have been creating worlds almost as long. I actually created a nation on an old Notepad document in the Ye Olden Days, like 1996-1997ish for fun, which then turned into a school project. The name 'Lexmark' that adorns the account I RP with in Astyria is a throwback to that very first nation, long before NationStates was even a concept. Outside of writing, I love traveling when possible, and enjoy photography quite a lot. When financially able to, I actually take trips around different locations in my home state to take photographs. Some of them are actually good!

Favorite Genres: Drama, Historical Epic, Horror, Suspense/Thriller

Favorite Writers: Albert Camus, John Keats, Thomas Keneally

Nationality: American (Pennsylvania / North Carolina)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 04:20:09 PM by Cassonne »

Aswick

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 08:38:32 PM »
Player's Handle: Aswick, though I go by "Justin" too

Player's Astyrian Nations: Aswick

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations: Nil

Years Active in NationStates: Like 5?

When Did You First Join Astyria? I can't even remember

A Little Bit About Me...
I'm Justin. I'm from the Netherlands. Currently 19 years old (Turning 20 in fewer than two months). Let's see here. I will hopefully soon be in the process of starting the journey towards my eventual goal of emigrating to the US of A (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQaH3-LK54) where I will then move in with my best mate.

I am a huge lover of science fiction, both in television and written media. I am also a giant, giant armchair historian specializing in the period between approximately 1870, and the 1970's. My secondary specialty would be the period between the early 1770's and 1820-ish (And mainly the British military aspect of it). If I could (afford it), I would most definitely study history, but that is not currently an option for me.

Now, what else. I love sports. Soccer, handball, hockey (field, not ice), rugby, cricket, American Football, Aussie rules football, baseball, the Formula One, the Winter Olympics (For some reason I don't find as much enjoyment in the summer olympics than I do in the winter editions). I play a couple of them at times. For example, last thursday (The 16th of September, 2016) I played a great game of baseball before enjoying the Netherlands-Spain game in the Euros.

I also do a little gaming now and then. Not really specific to any single genre. It's all dependent on how I feel at that time. Sometimes I'm in the mood for some strategic thinking, while the next day I may just want to mindlessly shoot drones or summat. That said, I am in a MilSim unit playing Arma 3 several times a week.

Besides that, I have no idea what else is really to be said here. If anyone wants to know more they can send me a message any time. Be it a telegramme, a PM on the forums, Facebook, Steam, I will answer it as soon as I have a moment to do so. (Contact information can be found in the addendum).

Favorite Genres:
Historical military fiction, modern military fiction, sci-fi, space opera

Favorite Writers: Bernard Cornwell, Patrick O'Brien, Tom Clancy, Robert Heinlein, many more

Nationality: Dutch

Addendum: Anyone who wishes to add me on Facebook can follow me here: https://www.facebook.com/justin.devos.37 . Once I start on the road, I will be keeping interested people informed through that.

Furthermore, anyone that would like to play games with me, can and should feel free to add me on Steam if they so desire. My profile can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/skullguy151196/

Ollie

• n00b
  • Invictus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »
Player's Handle: Ollie

Player's Astyrian Nations: Ord Caprica(United States of Caprica)

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations: Gaveria

Years Active in NationStates: 5 Years

When Did You First Join Astyria? Summer 2011

A Little Bit About Me... U.S Marine stationed in Texas.

Favorite Genres: Drama, Comedy

Favorite Writers: Nicolo Machiavelli, Robert Greene, Friedrich Nietzsche

Nationality:American
Carthage must be destroyed!

Aquitayne

• Administrator
  • n00b
  • Donator
  • The King Duder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 08:25:44 PM »

Player's Handle: Aquitayne/Aq

Player's Astyrian Nations: Aquitayne, Caranad, New Pangus (de facto)

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations: None that are active.

Years Active in NationStates: 5 years, joined July 24, 2011.

When Did You First Join Astyria? I was voted in on 25 November 2013.

A Little Bit About Me... College student living in the eastern U.S. I'm also a Roleplay mentor.

Favorite Genres: Diplomacy, military, MT, PT, fantasy, FT, character development, etc.

Favorite Writers: Bernard Cornwell, George Orwell, Aldus Huxley, E.E Cummings, Neal Stephenson, Mark Z. Danielewski, Markus Zusak. Much more.

Nationality: American.

Woody

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 10:40:16 PM »
Player's Handle: Woody

Player's Astyrian Nations: Woodstead, Cez-Zaeri

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations: Currently just Nyasott

Years Active in NationStates: 6-7 years?

When Did You First Join Astyria? In 2013 as a founding member.

A Little Bit About Me... I'm Woody/ Ed. I'm 21, and I love listening to dumb comedy/ crime/ conspiracy/ horror podcasts like Last Podcast on the Left and Blurry Photos. I used to spend my days marching in counterprotests on the weekends until I got older.

When I'm having a good day, I tend to do a mix of things- drag, Cities: Skylines/ SimCity, zine projects, IIWiki, and hanging out with my girl gang. I currently love in the UK, but I've been learn Danish every day, and would love to move out to Denmark, where my older brother already lives.

Also, ACAB: all canines are beautiful

Favorite Genres: Dystopia, graphic novels, black comedy, satire, crime, parody, Nordic noir

Favorite Writers: Irvine Welsh, Charlie Brooker, Chinaka Hodge, Oscar Wilde, Tennessee Williams, George Orwell, John Waters, Armando Ianucci

Nationality: British (or English)

Costa de Ouro

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 08:09:53 PM »
Player's Handle: credo

Player's Astyrian Nations: Costa de Ouro, Morroseta

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations: Ceni, Racao,

Years Active in NationStates: 2010, 2012-present

When Did You First Join Astyria? November of 2013

Favorite Genres: Non-fiction, sci-fi

Favorite Writers: Timothy Zahn

Nationality: American (Texas)

Oiseaui

• Outlander
  • n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 11:39:00 PM »
Player's Handle: Oiseaui (wos-ey-ou-ee) or Ois (wos/woz)

Player's Astyrian Nations: None... yet!

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations: Oiseaui

Years Active in NationStates: 2003 - Present (w/ 1 month to 1 year breaks during)

When Did You First Join Astyria? n/a

A Little Bit About Me...

Favorite Genres: SciFi, Horror, Historical Drama, Crime Drama

Favorite Writers: E. F. Schumacher, Mike Davis, Edward Tufte

Nationality: American

I'm Oiseaui/Ois or Ashley/Ash and I'm a dude who lives in Denver, Colorado, USA. I'm 26 - 27 come December 30th - and I've been playing NationStates since I was 13. I'm a huge science fiction nerd; I love Star Wars and Star Trek, and can enjoy almost anything in the sci-fi genre. I found this region because I play a Star Wars game with Aswick. I also love historical drama, real-life crime drama, and horror of most types. For all my nerdiness though, I played professional Rugby for the Glendale Raptors for a year, and have dabbled in kickboxing, Brazilian jujitsu, and mixed-martial arts. I'm a well-rounded nerd?

I began roleplaying in NationStates as a kid, creating a deep history for the nation of Valori. I was part of a huge RP group, but eventually I got bored with NationStates. However, I was Founder of a large RP region (at the time) so I left my nation to my 2IC. When I started playing again, 6 months later or so, he had quit as well but he had changed the password of my nation, so I started over as Oiseaui. My last name is Bird and I took French in HS so I thought it was super creative to use Bird in French, Oiseau. I don't remember why I added the random i at the end. In developing Oiseaui, I continued to use the French as a source for my nation, but I went the route of French Polynesia with a heavy French focus. I used Australia as a basis for its size. Beyond that, the nation grew naturally, as I sought to RP it.

Ionicus

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 07:08:08 PM »
Player's Handle: Ionicus / Ion

Player's Astyrian Nations: The United Technocratic Republics of Ionicus

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations: None

Years Active in NationStates: 2009-Present

When Did You First Join Astyria? July 2015

A Little Bit About Me...

Favorite Genres: Non-fiction, science fiction

Favorite Writers: Ray Bradbury

Nationality: American

Mesoland

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 06:38:39 AM »
Player's Handle: Mesoland but I also go by Meso

Player's Astyrian Nations: Mesoland

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations: A lot, most of them CTE'd and inactive

Years Active in NationStates: Almost 6 (first joined in February 2011)

When Did You First Join Astyria? Somewhere between December 2013 and February 2014.

A Little Bit About Me... I'm Will, and I'm 18. I joined Astyria after my long-time RP buddies Aquitayne and Symphonia moved here following the breakup of our former region, the Union of Epic Nations. I'm a big fan of movies, rugby, language learning and trivia. I speak German to a high level and am also somewhat proficient in Japanese and Mandarin.

Favorite Genres: Thriller, drama, comedy

Favorite Writers: Kazuo Ishiguro, F. Scott Fitzgerald to name just two

Nationality: British (English)
Veteran NSer and Astyrian

Aztec National League

• n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 12:16:10 AM »
Player's Handle: ANL or Aztec

Player's Astyrian Nations: Aztec National League is the one and only.

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations: I previously had two other nations many, many, many years ago. Both went inactive circa 2008/2009.

Years Active in NationStates: I originally joined NS in September of 2003. However, I was most active for about five years from 2003-2008.

When Did You First Join Astyria?: Can't remember, honestly. It was around the time the region was created. ViZion invited me to join Astrya after Tetrakon went kaput.

A Little Bit About Me: My name is Chris - I'm 29 going on 30 this year. I just moved back to Southern California after spending a five year stint in Northern Cal. Currently, I'm in between jobs, but for the past few years I've worked in California politics.

Favorite Genres: Science fiction, comedy, history, politics

Favorite Writers: Douglas Adams, Oscar Wilde, various newspaper writers and columnists

Nationality: American (de California)

Trellin | Maltropia

• Regional Cartographer
  • Administrator
  • Senior Duder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 12:51:09 PM »
Y'know, I may as well fill one o' these out.

Player's Handle: Mal, Malt, Maltropia etc.

Player's Astyrian Nations: Trellin, Andamonia, Arimathea, Cadenza, Kur'zhet; also involved in running NPC nations Kelonna and Maqtajer.

Player's Non-Astyrian Nations: I have like seventy. RP nations only: Maltropia and Stiltonia (in Paradoxia); Amalfi (in Borealia) and Letara (in Telseris)

Years Active in NationStates: I've been here since the end of 2009, though I'd hate to suggest I was actually good back then.

When Did You First Join Astyria? Pretty early on, within the first week or so; I was invited day one and hesitated too long to be the first person in the door.

A Little Bit About Me... I hate writing character biographies, and my own is no exception. I love history and geography - my undergrad was a BA in History and Geography. I'm currently pursuing an MSc in Coastal Management. I make maps and stuff and am an administrator on IIwiki. I hang out on IRC on the regular so that's a better way to learn about me because it's easy to provoke me into tooting my own horn.

Favorite Genres: Not really a genre kind of guy (according to me; I'm probably actually very predictable). I like Tolkien, Donald Westlake, Anne McCaffrey, Douglas Adams and some other authors, but I don't read enough these days to go into depth.

Favorite Writers: Huh, didn't realise this was here to answer. See above.

Nationality: Irish-born citizen of Ireland and Massachusetts. I legitimately claim Mi'kmaq ancestry and, a bit more debatably, descent from the royal house of Savoy.